[Seaside-dev] WAVirtualMachineStatus>>#renderValuesOn:

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at stfx.eu
Sun Feb 16 13:55:28 UTC 2014

On 16 Feb 2014, at 14:38, Johan Brichau <johan at inceptive.be> wrote:

> On 16 Feb 2014, at 14:07, Sven Van Caekenberghe <sven at stfx.eu> wrote:
>
>> This not an incompatibility between Pharo 2 and 3. Instead of creating a new package, it could also be fixed with a little dynamic hack.

The above sentence was wrong: it should read 'This is not compatible...'

> Though I’m always amazed that deprecated methods immediately break things in Pharo.
> They’re supposed to keep working until the next version, but the ‘raise a blocking dialog’ setting that is on by default in Pharo makes it break immediately.

Yes and no: if we would not raise a hard warning, nobody would adjust their code ;-)

One hack is:

[ ... ]
  on: Deprecation
  do: [ :notification | notification resume ].

But then the code will break in Pharo 4. What I meant was more something like:

[ self image listBuiltinModules ]
  on: Deprecation, MessageNotUnderstood
  do: [ self image vm listBuiltinModules ].

But it is still a hack.