[Seaside-dev] Seaside and CSRF attacks

Max Leske maxleske at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 19:44:12 UTC 2018

Hi Tim,

CSRF usually requires a URL that can trigger an action. In Seaside, if
you use continuations, the URL will contain a continuation key that
specifies the state of the session (the session will usually be
identified by a cookie). Every callback (action) has a key.
Since the continuation key is a random string bound to the session
(multiple session could use the same continuation key without problems)
an attacker would have to guess the continuation key in order to perform
a CSRF. In addition callbacks are usually state dependent, i.e. specific
to a page and the state to that page, so it's usually not possible to
trigger a callback outside of this context.

Of course, you can use Seaside in a way that totally makes CSRF trivial
;)

As for classes, that depends on the version of Seaside you want to use.

Cheers,
Max