[Seaside] [BUG][FIX]PWS seaside cannot handle plain url

Julian Fitzell julian@beta4.com
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 19:40:08 -0700

Tim Rowledge wrote:
> Yay, my first fix for seaside!
>
> If you use seaside with PWS a url of the form 'http://localhost' gets a
> page with nothing more helpful than 'key not found'. This is because the
> PWS ActionTable is not fully setup. A simple fix for this is to add the
> IAPWS to PWS at 'default' as well as at 'seaside'.

Hmm... but what if the user is already running something else with
PWS... isn't it kind of rude of seaside to overwrite that automatically?

> Another probably useful change is to check the url and to add 'seaside'
> if it is empty. This then also lets the previous code add 'config' and
> you get to a useful place.
>
> I really dislike websites that go nowhere with a plain url.

I agree... but I can't quite see how we can enforce this from the
seaside end.  It's fair to say that we're taking /seaside but I'm not
sure I'm comfortable just blindly throwing ourselves in as the default
handler.  (IAKom also goes nowhere if you don't give it a path).

There are so many ways a web server could be set up and laid out... can
we make an assumption that will work?  Perhaps we could check if there
is already something linked to "default" and if not, then add ourselves?

Julian

--
julian@beta4.com
Beta4 Productions (http://www.beta4.com)