[Seaside] Tutorial completed: cool

Marcel Weiher marcel@metaobject.com
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:40:04 +0100

On Monday, February 25, 2002, at 08:21 AM, Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Marcel Weiher wrote:
>
>> Seaside really seems to address most of the issues I had with WO.
>
> Most; out of curiosity, which issues remain?

Excellent question!  My main reason for saying 'most' is that my
inspection has only been very superficial so far, so I can't really say
'all' with confidence.

The requirement for special template syntax is still there, though
somewhat eased.  For some DTP related work, I've implemented a different
approach.  I use an unmodified source document and then separately
describe the hooks into this source document.  These hooks are, of
course, much more complex to describe/implement, but at least for
DTP-related work, the effort is definitely worth it.

Another issue with WO is that it defaults to the "stateful application"
model, and stateless processing is really not integrated very well at
all.  Statelessness is a really powerful and enabling aspect of the web,
and can also simplify applications.  I have no idea yet how seaside
deals with that, since I was quite busy over the week-end.

I am also not sure wether they should be addressed.

Incidentally, I also demoed Seaside to a whole bunch of WO/Cocoa
developers as part of my impromptu Squeak presentation at the
Wocoa-meeting this saturday.  It worked very nicely and I think they
were impressed. ;-)

With my new Cocoa VM that can read the image from the app-wrapper,
'deployment' is also a snap, or rather, a joke:  just copy
CocoaSqueak.app to the appropriate machine and launch it.  When I think
of the hassles of WO deployment, it just makes me weep.

Marcel

--
Marcel Weiher				Metaobject Software Technologies
marcel@metaobject.com		www.metaobject.com