[Seaside] URL link and caching

Damon Anderson damon@spof.net
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 20:52:41 -0600

Avi Bryant writes:
 > > Btw, this "save browsing" feature is deathblow to my Internet
 > > Explorer 6. Sometimes it complains page couldn't be loaded,
 > > sometimes it goes to neverending wait for response or spits out the
 > > message that page has expired. Netscape 6 is doing just fine.
 >
 > Hmm, that ain't good.  Anyone else seeing the same thing?

I am. I've just started playing with seaside recently, and I get an
error page the first time I hit the tutorial app after I've started up
seaside/comanche. If I reload immediately it comes up ok and seems to be
fine from then on. I'm not near the computer that has squeak installed,
so I don't know any of the version numbers. I haven't investigated to
see what it is about the response that is making IE6 choke, but I can do
that when I get home. I haven't seen this happen with any of the Perl or
Java/Servlet programming I've been doing with IE6, but I also haven't
tested seaside with any other browsers.

 > In case it helps, let me make clear what "Safe Browsing" does. Each
 > page view is split into two parts - a request ending in /action,
 > which contains the POST or GET data, and performs the action methods,
 > which then redirects to a request ending in /view, which simply
 > renders the next page. This nice thing here is that reloading the
 > /view page never resubmits any data or causes any nasty side effects.
 > The cost is an extra redirect and, apparently, issues with IE... I
 > don't develop on Windows, so I don't have any advice in that dept.
 > Julian, comments?

I don't think there's anything unusual about the way Safe Browsing
works. That's how I always write my web apps in other languages/
environments, so that I don't have to deal with the back button,
double-post, etc. I had written the error off as a transient thing (I've
definitely been meddling around with my image), but now that it appears
to be a consistent problem I'm curious.

Btw, hello everybody. I have a couple of things to say that are off-
topic for this thread, so I'm going to continue in another email.

-damon