[Seaside] Introduction / Apache integration / etc.

Avi Bryant avi@beta4.com
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 19:33:50 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Damon Anderson wrote:

> I recently got back into Squeak and discovered Seaside, and I love it.
> I've been dreaming about transparent web development for years and never
> got around to implementing anything myself (mostly because I recognized
> the need for continuations, but didn't feel like writing all of my web
> apps in lisp).

Indeed - you wanna know how many implementations of Scheme I looked at
before realizing I could just add continuations to Smalltalk? ;-)

> While I wouldn't call myself an expert, I have some experience with
> persistence/transactional systems in other languages and might be able
> to do some hacking on whatever is integrated into Seaside.

What I'm most likely to integrate in the immediate future is support for
GOODS; if you feel like hacking on that, let me know.

> I have a feeling I'm also going to end up needing RDBMS support of
> some kind, so I might look into either Oracle or (probably sooner)
> Postgres support.

Having an Oracle plugin would be very nice.  As you may know, there's
already a Postgres client for Squeak.  The trick is getting a good O/R
mapping going - I have various messy bits of code for that, but I'm
not keen on releasing them yet.  There's also GLORP that could be ported.

> Also, I don't feel comfortable with Squeak listening on an open port on
> my server, so I've been thinking about going down the same avenue as
> Apache/Tomcat: have Squeak listen on a port bound to localhost and write
> an Apache module which forwards certain requests to Squeak. Has anybody
> else worked on something like this?

Already there.  Look at IAModLisp.