[Seaside] VW port in public Cincom Store?

Avi Bryant avi@beta4.com
Fri, 3 May 2002 01:47:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 3 May 2002, Cees de Groot wrote:

> - _ vs. :=. We might want to hack the VW parser ;-)

Probably not even necessary - I assume there's some munging that goes on
when preparing Squeak code to be filed into VW, so couldn't it be done at
that stage as well?  Besides, I'd hate to read the code in VW with _
everywhere, so unless we can get it to display the left arrow...

> - The {foo->bar. baz->quux} construct. (Array with: foo->bar with: baz->quux)
> works and is reasonably concise, but a VW parser hack would be even better
> (the Cincom Smalltalk newsletter, available from their site, has somewhere in
> the back issues an article on playing with the VW and Squeak parsers)

I don't mind losing the {} syntax, it's really pretty unnecessary sugar.

> - A biggy: in lots of places, Seaside does not care about the differences
> between Symbols and Strings, because Squeak finds 'foo' to be equal to #foo.
> In numerous places, Seaside's dictionaries hold String keys but are accessed
> with Symbol keys, and vice versa. I've hacked Symbol>>= and String>>= in VW to
> use the same rules as Squeak, but I fear that might break a lot of code
> (probably a point worth discussing on comp.lang.smalltalk).

Ok, that's good to know.  I've definitely been lax about that.

> - Apart from that, a lot of protocol is used in Squeak that is not
> available in VW, especially on String, SequencableCollection, and
> similar useful spots.  The 'Seaside - VW Port' parcel holds the result
> of adding all these methods to VW, and it's an awfully long list; we
> might want to try to move Seaside back a bit to more (ANSI?) standard
> protocol in order to make other ports easier as well.

Can you send me the list?  I'm not sure it makes sense to avoid such
methods if it means a loss of expressivity.  If there are equally concise
but more portable equivalents, then we should try to change them.

As for other ports, I don't see much point in worrying about them until
the Continuation test cases pass...

So, Cees, can you guide me through pulling the source from StORE?  I tried
to sign up for the public repository, but their automated app for creating
accounts is broken.  Is there a way to do an anonymous checkout?

Best,
Avi