[Seaside] More 2.3 questions related to modules (sections)

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Tue Apr 8 22:16:47 CEST 2003

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Derek Brans wrote:

> Is there support in 2.3 for cookie-based session id's ?

No.  I decided that if anyone really wants to inflict cookies on their
users, they can maintain a mapping from cookies to data themselves.  In
particular, the only valid use I know of for cookies is to maintain some
kind of user identification either across multiple applications or across
multiple visits to the same application.  In either case, the cookies
should be referring to some object that is more general or longer lived
than a Seaside session; it doesn't make any sense to me to map them
directly to session keys.

> I'm trying to implement modules (sections) again in 2.3.  The approach I
> used in 2.2 was that when it came time to lookup the continuation for an
> action key, if the key was absent the session would say "self start" in
> order to recreate the root controller.
>
> I've overriden session>>performRequest to do that.  I've inserted a self
> halt in this same method.  However, if I delete the action key from the
> url in my browser and fetch that url, the page shows itself as expired
> (performRequest was never called).  I'm baffled how that happened.

Derek, can you explain what it is you're actually trying to achieve?  It's
hard for me to figure out exactly what you're talking about without that.

Avi