[Seaside] Displaying Seaside Components in frames

Ben Schroeder bschroeder at procro.com
Thu Aug 21 17:14:51 CEST 2003

Avi Bryant wrote:

> An obvious thing that should be done to clean this up is to implement
> #frameWithUrl: and #frameWithAction: on HtmlBuilder and HtmlRenderer
> respectively; this would then become
>
> html attributes rows: '10%, 90%'.
> html frameset: [
>   html frameWithAction: [self call: PrintOrFax new].
>   html frameWithUrl: self imageUrl.
> ]

Hi Avi,

Thanks, that looks good to me - much more like the rest of the rendering I've seen in Seaside.

There might be a problem: framesets (so it seems) can't be children of <body>, but instead need to be direct children of <html>.  (... at least in the version of IE I'm using, but they're that way in the W3C examples.) WAHtmlResponse inserts a Body tag near the beginning of its rendering, a while before it gets to my Component.

One thing to do would be to reinitialize the <body> to be a <frameset>, but that seems odd to me - plus I would still have to get the attributes in there.  Maybe I could factor WAHtmlResponse around so that I could get one that works with frames, and use a new renderer instance and #returnResponse: with one of those.

(It's not a very big deal to me today in any case - we're using frames more because of a printing situation than anything else, and the Generic Response with a little more factoring would be OK in this situation.)

Any thoughts?  I of course might be missing something that's there... :)

Thanks,
Ben