[Seaside] Omnibase with Seaside

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Thu Jun 26 21:49:32 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 19:37, Derek Brans wrote:
> Given that Omnibase doesn't currently have file locking, could I make
> it work as a backend to a Seaside application?
>
> ie., is it safe to have one db instance that all sessions use, or
> would I run into concurrency issues?

No, that's safe. As long as there is only one 'OmniBase' object you are sharing
between all sessions (you can have as many transactions as you like on that single
db connection).

I've been using OmniBase this way for well over a year in production with VW, until
I discovered that all the file locking code did not work under Linux - two
locking calls from the same process always succeed according to Posix rules - and
David added internal locking code to fix that.

Transactions use different methods than file locking to resolve potential
conflicts (like semaphores) on a single db connection.