[Seaside] Questions inspired by the tutorial

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed Mar 26 01:32:08 CET 2003

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Keith P. Hodges wrote:

> Guilty.
<snip>
> If the framework is going to change on a day to day basis, perhaps the
> documentation needs some help to keep up. I hope that things will
> stabilize a bit soon, before I embark on a seriously epic seaside
> project.

That would be where I get to cry "guilty".  Seaside is certainly still in
the expand and evolve stage, and I'm aware that it can be hard to build on
a moving target.  I don't think there have been any changes that would
cause more than an afternoon's annoyance of porting, however - and if you
want more backwards compatibility than that, you'll have to complain more
loudly.  I generally operate on the principle that we (ie, those closest
to Seaside's development) have more Seaside apps than anyone else, and so
if we can update our apps successfully, other shoulds be able to as well.
That does rely on everyone else having enough information about the
changes, however, and I'm sure I'm not doing enough in that direction.

Incidentally, can you tell us any more about this epic project?

> I believe that any feature that is not documented adequately with
> examples, may as well not exist.

That's an excellent mantra.  I will point out, however, that there's no
need that those examples come from me... it would be nice to see more
seaside components posted from users.  Even if they're just silly things
written to learn the framework, I think it would be productive to have a
lot more example code flying around.

> p.s. has anyone got any seaside employment opportunities?

Heh.  We've managed to smuggle Seaside into a couple of companies in the
Vancouver area, but I don't think either of them are hiring anymore.  But
feel free to spread the word, and maybe we can continue to create such
opportunities...

And if there *are* any others, I'd certainly like to know about them too.
;)
Avi