[Seaside] VW Port

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Fri May 9 12:28:04 CEST 2003

On Fri, 9 May 2003, Pennell, David wrote:

> I have ported Seaside 2.3b to VisualWorks 7.

Wonderful news.  It would be great if we could coordinate a cross-dialect
2.3 release.

> I'm looking for suggestions on the most straightforward way to track changes
> to the Squeak version of Seaside.

What changes did you need to make to the Squeak source to get it to work?
The things I know would be issues:

- the use of {} syntax (I've tried to eliminate this in recent commits)
- the use of _ instead of := (fixable with a simple search and replace)
- the Seaside/Session-Backtracking and Seaside/Base-Connections categories
would need new implementations
- no doubt WABrowser, at least, doesn't work, and some of the other tools
as well - profiling, etc.

What else did you come across?  Depending on how much needed to change for
the port, we may be able to come up with a semi-automated process for
generating a VW parcel from the Squeak source... I would love to have the
VW port kept as much in sync as possible.

Avi