[Seaside] VW Port

Pennell, David DPennell at quallaby.com
Tue May 13 20:29:31 CEST 2003

[SNIP]

>> LimitedWriteStream

> This is because of #printStringLimitedTo:, I assume.  What is the VW idiom
for this?  How to VW inspectors avoid showing long (or infinite)
printStrings?

With code in Collection>>printOn: (and with several similar implementations
in subclasses)

[SNIP]

>> UUID (I subclassed DST.NCSuuid, but that means that anybody that needs
>> Seaside on VW will have to include one or more DST (CORBA) parcels).

>It probably makes sense to introduce a Seaside-specific way of generating
IDs anyway, that can be used in both Squeak and VW.

It may be OK to keep using the DST class.  It is included in the DST-Core
parcel, about 287K.

>> WeakSet (I did a very fast hack by subclassing VW's WeakDictionary)

> Hm, odd that VW didn't have this already.

My reaction precisely.

> Anyway, just thinking out loud - but I would definitely like to make the
process of porting to VW smoother (or rather, of keeping the VW port up to
> date).  The syntax issues are trivial - what I'll probably do is add a
Rosetta exporter to Monticello, which should then make it easy to produce a
.pst
> file or whatever.  It might also be a good idea to separate the stuff
that's obviously Squeak-specific (WABrowser, WAMemoryUse, WAScreenshot, at
least)
> into a separate package - for this to work I guess the toolbar could be
adapted so that tools are registered with it instead of hard coded.

What is a Rosetta exporter?

This sounds like a good plan.  What do you see as the next step?

-david