[Seaside] does ROE work with MySQL

Mathias Picker Mathias.Picker at virtual-earth.de
Tue Apr 6 10:18:08 CEST 2004

Luke Holden wrote:
>>PostgreSQL works fine on Linux, Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows platforms.
>>There's simply no good reason anymore to use MySQL. PostgreSQL rocks!
>

> I was going to say,... utilities like phpmyadmin are why I still use mysql. (Last time I messed with phppgadmin... it was not very good)... But I just installed PostgreSQL and phppgadmin... and I have to say. I am quite impressed.
>
> Tested it out by manually copying the mysql database schema for my project to postgresql ...#
 > and I have to say... I think I quite like the postgresql version much
better. Things like the
 >named schema sets, views and etc... make things quite a bit easier to
work with.

Just out of curiosity: mysql has no views?

And even though I wanted to hold my tongue, now that I'm posting I'll
add some more reasons to use pgsql for interesting applications:

it really _is_ extensible, look at

postgis, http://postgis.refractions.net/, for ageographic datatype with
R-Tree indicices for contained-in selects, _very_ nice for some apps and

GIST, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/, with indices for
tree and set datatyps. _Very_ neat, this. (!) Also used to implement
full text search for postgres.

Cheers, Mathias