[Seaside] Newbie: GOODS with Seaside

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Mon Apr 26 20:21:24 CEST 2004

On Apr 26, 2004, at 9:03 AM, Julian Fitzell wrote:

> That said, you can have a lot of sessions hanging around for quite a
> while in a large application.  I don't know if GOODS comes with a
> connection pool but it's probably very easy to write one.  I wrote one
> for OmniBase using a SharedQueue and maybe a half-dozen methods.  It
> really does make things so much simpler and way more efficient in
> terms of the number of database connections around at any point.

GOODS doesn't have a connection pool, and you would have to be very
careful when writing one to get the semantics right, since connections
are extremely stateful things in GOODS.  Much better would be to hack
both client and server to allow multiple "connections" to be
multiplexed over one actual TCP socket connection, but this requires
diving into the goodsrv.cxx source, which may not appeal to everyone.

If the load isn't too heavy, however, you shouldn't even need to logout
of GOODS - once the session has expired, the socket connection should
get garbage collected and closed, and all the connection resources on
both server and client will be released.  Obviously this isn't ideal,
but it may work out in practice.

Avi