[Seaside] Re: seaside hosting

Dave Bauer dave at thedesignexperience.org
Tue Apr 27 12:59:44 CEST 2004

radoslav hodnicak wrote:

>My guess would be that java/python|zope developers don't modify the system
>all over the place, hence they can use loadable modules and reasonably
>expect that it will work for all users.
>
>Smalltalk images tend to be rather unique. I'm sure one could come up with
>some sort of restricted development style that would allow to share one
>smalltalk image (especially if your smalltalk supports namespaces), but I
>don't see this as practical solution for any non-trivial application.
>
>rado

I haven't followed the entire thread, but I am normally an OpenACS
programmer, and our platform is also not very common and extremely rare
for shared hosting options. There are a couple of companies that offer
it, both use a virtual server setup, one on Linux and one of FreeBSD
that seem to work fairly well. With this type of setup, each customer
runs their own application server, and can customize any of the code
running in their own virtual server without affecting the other users.

Besides that the most common hosting for small experimental sites is DSL
or cable internet connections. One small fact is that OpenACS has been
around a while longer so there are companies that provide consulting
services, and sometimes will donate some server space for a developer to
try out. Another key that is unique is that OpenACS really doesn't run
on Windows so well for historical reasons and most developers have no
problem using Linux, BSD, Solaris, OS X, etc. I suspect a shared hosting
system would need to run some sort of UNIX-like operating system to be
effective.

I'll try to find out what the specific software is that is used for
virtual hosting.

Dave