[Seaside] children & egg problem

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Mon Aug 30 01:25:08 CEST 2004

On Aug 29, 2004, at 6:48 PM, radoslav hodnicak wrote:

> In 2.5, the complete root component with its children must be ready
> before
> authentication decoration kicks in - but I can't initialize my
> (non-root)
> components before I know who is logged in. In 2.3 this was not a
> problem
> because there was no #children. Suggestions?

If nobody's logged in, just return #() from #children, because you know
nothing will be rendered anyway due to the auth decoration.

> Btw, I don't know where this fascination with wrapping things into
> other
> things comes from, but do I have to remind you what happened to the
> current VisualWorks UI framework ("Wrapper")?
>
> Right, it's being rewritten ;-)

Rado, don't go anywhere, we need questions like that ;).

But there's no wrapping going on, exactly: the whole point of the
decoration system is that parents can access children directly without
worrying whether or not they've been decorated.  This was, in fact, an
attempt to get *rid* of the wrapping that was happening in 2.3 with,
eg, #withMessage: and #validateWith:, where you ended up pointing to a
MessageFrame or ValidationFrame instead of the actual component you
cared about.  Here, there's a clear separation between wrapper and
component, and you can usually ignore the wrappers if you want to.
IIUC, this is closer to Pollock than Wrapper.

Still, I freely admit that 2.5 is more complex than 2.3, and complexity
is generally a bad thing.  As you find concrete ways in which it gets
in your way (and there will be more of them, I'm sure), please do let
me know...

Cheers,
Avi