[Seaside] GOODS speed

Brian Brown rbb at techgame.net
Wed Dec 15 16:34:42 CET 2004

On Dec 14, 2004, at 1:03 PM, Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> I can't answer your question but I am interested in its answer.
>
> I was just curious if anybody has used Squeak and SQLite 3 for
> anything like this. From a simple look at the SQLite info, it seems
> like a decent DB to use with Squeak for many purposes. It seems like a
> good match for Squeak.

I have a Seaside app that was initially built using the ODBC plugin and
connected to M$ Access - that crashed a lot and was fairly slow for
some large
queries. (Large meaning several tables with 100K+ rows each and summing
columns)

I converted it to PostgreSQL running on FreeBSD box - rock solid and
much, much faster. Then I needed to deploy the whole app on a laptop
for trade
show (On windows), so I converted it once again to SQLite. Rock solid,
but very
slow for those same large queries...

However, it works very well and is easy to deploy. There are a lot of
cases
where I would use it. It could also be used for indexes into GOODS by
storing
  the id from the GOODS database.

hth,

Brian