[Seaside] Does Seaside/Squeak ready for production use ?

Dmitry Dorofeev dima-sender-3c337a at yasp.com
Fri Dec 24 12:19:49 CET 2004

Hi all,

I consider Seaside/Squeak as a possible platform to implement
real e-commerce site comparable with things like http://www.flightstore.co.uk/
While it seems for me that Smalltalk/Seaside is superior platform for programming
and prototyping ideas it is not clear how stable and quick it is in real life.
The questions i have:

1. The project requires headless squeak running on remote server. Is there any
proven way to update the code and apply fixes remotely in this case. (Yes i know,
this was discussed recently in the list)

2. Is there live seaside/squeak sites with heavy loads. We looking to support
2000 unique visitors per day and 2 hits per second to the content pages. Is that
possible on Intel hardware ?

3. Is there any ways to use server-side caching or static pages for
styles/javascripts which i belive are generates dynamically. As i can see each
click in browser generates 2-3 requests to Seaside, for HTML,CSS and JS ?

4. Is there any tricks to make Google happy with seaside sessions and URLs ?

5. I tried really simple tests with perl script, which just traverses
Sushi shop demo provided with Seaside to check stability. It looks ok, as
robot was run for 3 days without problems. I started it time to time after that.
Image files are now grown to the sizes (bytes)
 17715866 seaside-books.changes
 95248000 seaside-books.image
It may be cached sessions data, but i believe it should be freed up ? Any comments on
image size ? I can send Perl script to the list on request. original image was
Squeak3.7-5989-basic

6. What is people expirience with GOODS, is it ready for production ? Combination GOODS
for objects + MySQL/PostrgreSQL for easy search on data. I.e. mixed approach.

7. Fulltext search techniques (was discussed in the list recently)

8. Encryption. S/MIME is required. I can use OpenSSL lib for that, any hints how to
do that ?

I would take responsibility to summarize answers in plain text or HTML to be published
on the Seaside site if it would be accepted.

Thank you and Happy New Year !

--
Dmitry Dorofeev           ****