[Seaside] CSS/JS libs

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Thu Jun 24 19:56:39 CEST 2004

Avi Bryant (avi at beta4.com) wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2004, at 6:32 PM, Eric Hodel wrote:
>
> >Is it possible to generate a link element that points to a stylesheet
> >then fill the stylesheet in as you build it?
>
> Well, you could, but there wouldn't be much point.  The idea of having
> a link to a stylesheet instead of having styles inline is that the
> stylesheet content is static, and thus can have stable and cacheable
> URLs.  If you did it that way you'd have to use a new URL every time
> and the browser could never cache CSS.

How often must the stylesheets be embedded?  I've not yet bothered to
look at the new 2.5 code, because I've not yet caught Borges up to the
2.3 code base to a position where I'm comfortable to make changes (not
enough tests).

Am I correct in 2.3 you could have "static" styles built into a cacheable
URL via the #style method on the components, and the problem here is
separate from the #style method?

> > (My understanding of the Seaside/Commanche interaction is that only
> >one request can be processed by Seaside at a time, so not having a
> >complete stylesheet would not be a problem.)
>
> Only one request is processed by *a given session* at a time.  Static
> documents, like stylesheets, are not handled at the session level, and
> so can be served concurrently with any other request.

Ok, I wasn't sure if this was the case in Seaside or not, it was not
obvious to me from the code.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain at segment7.net - http://segment7.net
All messages signed with fingerprint: