[Seaside] Re: Latin-1 for SeaSide: howto?

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Tue Mar 30 20:59:25 CEST 2004

On Mar 30, 2004, at 8:37 AM, Samuel Tardieu wrote:

> It should at least be a configuration option for people who want to
> manipulate data freely in Squeak and in the WWW interface. I
> understand that if you do not display in Morphic data received from
> outside, you will not encounter this problem and do not want go
> through a two-steps null operation.

It's not a null-op, because both conversions are lossy - "aString
squeakToIso isoToSqueak = aString" is very likely to be false.  And I
think the majority of users are in the same position as Lukas, with the
data staying in latin-1 the whole time from database to web browser and
back, so I'd rather not convert to latin-1 by default.  What I would
suggest you do is subclass WAHtmlRenderer and do the conversions there
(if you override just #text: and #textInputWithValue:callback:, you'll
get nearly all the cases, and you can fill in the gaps as you find
them).  That lets you do conversions for both input and output in the
same place, and it's easy to plug in - just override #rendererClass in
your components to return your Latin1Renderer.

Avi