[Seaside] UTF-8 in form

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ext.cri74.org
Sat Oct 9 10:29:29 CEST 2004

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 09:58:05 +0200 (CEST)
radoslav hodnicak <rh at 4096.sk> wrote:

  > On Sat, 9 Oct 2004, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
  >
  > > (app genericName: lang) return an UTF-8 string.
  > >
  > > The call "html textInputWithValue: (app genericName: lang)..." renders a
  > > text form with an incorrect UTF-8 string
  > >
  > > The call html html: (app genericName: lang) renders correctrly the UTF-8
  > > string.
  >
  > what does html text: (app genericName: lang) produce?

It fetches a string from Dictionary. The string was itself input from an html form

  > because #text: (and many other tags as well in end effect) do html
  > escaping (e.g. < to &lt; > to &gt; " to &quote; etc)

Yes, you are right  this is exactly what is happening when I look at
source code of the rendered html, the smalltalk bellow render the
following html code:

<input name="12" id="12" value="G&Atilde;&copy;om&Atilde;&copy;trie interactive" type="text" />
(french)Géométrie interactive&nbsp;

However I did not succeed to browse up to the attribute rendering (stuck
in WAHtmlAttributes)

  > it can be that some of your utf8 chars are two-bytes wide and the *second*
  > byte gets escaped hence producing garbage as output. just a guess...

Thanks for your time

Hilaire