[Seaside] Home link

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed Oct 20 12:29:27 CEST 2004

On Oct 20, 2004, at 12:13 PM, Yar Hwee Boon wrote:

> It's a navigation bar where there's links to several different
> "screens". I wouldn't be #answer:-ing from those calls. I take it
> that, I should send #home before a second (or third, etc) #call then.

If you're not #answer:-ing, why are you #call:-ing?

This is something that I need to find a way to emphasize better, in the
Seaside documentation or the examples: there's no reason to overuse
#call:.  If your navigation bar is a way of switching between a set of
components, why not model it that way?  Take the tab component
(WASimpleNavigation) as an example: have a collection of the
components, and have your #renderContentOn: simply pick the right one
and render it.  The links in the nav bar just switch which component is
currently chosen (using a 'selected' inst var or some such).  You could
quite easily build an entire Seaside app without ever using
#call:/answer:, and there's really no reason to incur that overhead
unless you need to.

Avi