[Seaside] Design Question of a very small game

Jon Paynter kittle at mail.yans.net
Fri Oct 22 16:27:45 CEST 2004

Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:48:07 +0200

>On Oct 21, 2004, at 3:36 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>
>> Tasks are used to embed the logical flow of an application whereas the
>> rendering is in charge of components.
>> As concequences, the entry point of an application should always be a
>> Task's go method.
>
>Maybe not "always" - you might have a home page with several rendered
>links on it that kickstart the various workflows, for example.  But
>it's often a good idea, yes.

So in this case where you have a page with several hundred links (or in my case, a big semi-dynamic menu).... What is the pattern to use?

My app doesnt have #call: directly in renderContentOn: ...  it calls instance methods which in turn call other components.

example:
>>renderConentOn: html
html linkWithAction: [self heal] text: 'heal';break.

>>heal
| app |
app := WAHeal new.
app character: self selectedCharacter.
app game: self game.
self call: app.

That pattern gets repeated for many different functions.
>From what Avi has sent me and what ive seen here on the list in snippets, that 'feels wrong'  but I dont see a resonable way to set things up.

And as an afterthought -- the only time I DID try the task calls component pattern, I got wierd results.

Jon.