[Seaside] releases (was re: registerObjectForBacktracking, submit and execute block)

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Sep 2 14:24:58 CEST 2004

> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Avi Bryant wrote:
>
>> 3) You include a timestamp in the update URL to prevent caching.  I'm
>> not sure about this one; shouldn't this be doable with headers
>> instead?
>>   Is IE really so broken that this is necessary?
>
> Yes it is. If you XMLHttpRequest (that's verb :-)) an url that was
> accessed before you'll get the old result (no connection to web server
> is
> made). If this can be prevented using headers I don't know.

Ugh.  Ugh, ugh, ugh.  Ok.

> Uhm what do you mean with efficiency? I certainly want to be able to
> update several elements at once - what would be the solution otherwise
> -
> sending several xmlhttprequests each updating one element?

Or sending back the smallest fragment of the page that includes both
elements you want updated.  But I can see that this would be far from
ideal in some cases.

> First let me say that this implementation is result of my inability to
> write a regex that would do the same :-). Yeah it's a hack, I freely
> admit
> that. After two days fighting with DOM and cursing at inept javascript
> debuggers I was glad to get it to work at all.

Understood, absolutely.  Maybe some regex wizards can help us out?

> m really fine with any implementation that works, more hackish or less
> hackish. Because it's hidden. In my live update code (in seaside) I
> just
> render various parts of the page like I always do.

Yup, fair enough, but I'm pickier about the internals (someone has to
be).  So ideally we'd find something on the less hackish side we can
integrate into the main release.

> Btw did you find out why my changes don't work in safari?

Not yet.  Currently tracking down some other Safari issues, as it
happens.  I'll try to take a look soon.

Avi