[Seaside] Re: Seaside licence for ESUG 2004 Report

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Tue Sep 14 17:44:10 CEST 2004

On Sep 14, 2004, at 4:45 PM, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> Avi Bryant wrote:
>> On Sep 14, 2004, at 3:14 PM, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> we have made with Nicolas Roard, a french ESUG 2004 Report for Linux
>>> Magazine France, but i didn't remember the licence of Seaside.
>> Seaside is free for non-commercial use, and for any use (commercial
>> or non-commercial) on Squeak.  If you want to use Seaside
>> commercially on VisualWorks, or port it to another Smalltalk, please
>> contact me.
>

> Ok, thanks you Avi.
> I didn't understand that Seaside was only free (free as free beer) and
> not open-source as defined by OSI (http://www.opensource.org/).

You mean Open Source then ;).  Neither is Squeak.  I think you'll find,
however, that there is very little preventing you from doing what you
want with either (with distribution by Debian being a notable example,
but one that's probably less important for Seaside than for Squeak
itself).

I don't want to get into a protracted licensing discussion on this
list; if anyone has concerns or suggestions around Seaside licensing,
email me privately.  If need me, we can start a separate list for such
issues.

Avi