[Seaside] "Boot" Page?

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Thu Aug 4 20:23:06 CEST 2005

Ragnar,

I suppose it depends whether you need it hooked into seaside globally or
whether you can just do it in your application.

You obviously need to register a class with #addToStartupList:

Smalltalk addToStartupList: MyStartupClass

Then you need to implement MyStartupClass>>startUp or
MyStartupClass>>startUp:

That gives you your startup hook.  Then you could put a decoration
around the main component of your application, have it check with
MyStartupClass to see if it has done it's startup processing, and either
display the component or the "loading message" as appropriate.
Obviously you could use the same decoration around as many apps as you
want but you'd have to set each up.

Alternatively, you could certainly modify Seaside to check the class if
you really want to go that deep.  Or, you could have MyStartupClass copy
all the registered applications (either on shutdown or startup) and
replace them with another application that just displays a loading page.
  When it was done, it could put the other applications back.  This had
the advantage of covering all your applications but feels a little
kludgy to me.

Probably others will have other suggestions, but hopefully that gives
you something to start with...

Julian

--
   Julian Fitzell  --  Beta4 Productions