[Seaside] Re: What do you think about Ruby on Rails ?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Aug 13 03:22:11 CEST 2005

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 10:55:01AM +0200, stephane ducasse wrote:

> But why because this is in XXX we cannot have it in Smalltalk.
> I would like to be able to write
>
> Directory default filesAndFoldersDo: [:file | Output show: file
> size ; cr]
>
> and not manipulate strings as in python.

<ot>
  <ot>

    Well, terseman is nowhere in sight, and somebody has to start
    somewhere, so...in a Squeak startup script, to be run headless as
    in "squeak -headless squeak.image file:///foo/bar/myStartupScript",
    you could do this:

        | dirStack stdout |
        stdout _ FileStream fileNamed: '/dev/tty'.
        dirStack _ OrderedCollection with: FileDirectory default.
        [dirStack isEmpty] whileFalse:
            [ | dir |
            dir _ dirStack first.
            dirStack addAll: (dir entries
                select: [:d | d isDirectory]
                thenCollect: [:dd | FileDirectory on: dir pathName, dir slash, dd name]).
            (dir entries reject: [:d | d isDirectory])
                do: [:f | stdout nextPutAll: dir pathName, dir slash, f name , ': ', f fileSize asString, String lf].
            dirStack removeFirst].
        Smalltalk snapshot: false andQuit: true

    I'm assuming that "Output" refers to stdout in the hypothetical example,
    and of course in Seaside you would be doing something else, perhaps a
    table of file names and file sizes I suppose. But as long as we are
    this far off topic, what's the difference?

  </ot>
</ot>

Dave