[Seaside] [BUG?] The Third Ghost Request and error swallowing

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 13:32:18 CEST 2005

On 8/11/05, Michal <miso.list at auf.net> wrote:

> Note that the third request does NOT occur on a mac if you call it as localhost (ie: http://localhost:9090/seaside/counter), but it DOES occur if you use 127.0.0.1 (ie: http://127.0.0.1:9090/seaside/counter) instead. Apart from this quirk, the ghost was consistently seen on both mac and debian servers, both from safari and firefox/mac browsers, both on local and remote servers.

Thanks for the analysis.  The localhost vs. 127.0.0.1 point is
especially fascinating, because I've also noticed that distinction,
when using Safari, but the other way around: that is, there are
occasional errors (empty or terminated responses) when using localhost
but NOT when using 127.0.0.1.  This must all be related somehow.

Once I get a bit of time, I'll be very interested to step through this
and see if I can figure out what's actually going on.  As for having
time - I think Rado pointed out that I've been "missing in action"
recently, which is true; I've been moving and travelling and largely
away from good internet access.  I'll be at Camp Smalltalk at ESUG for
the next few days, and then fly back to Vancouver next week, after
which things should be back to normal for me.

> 2. can we stop silently swallowing errors in #beginConversation? That will make it much easier to see the issues and give some incentive to fix them instead.

Certainly sounds like a good idea to me.  Who, in practice, is
maintaining KomHttpServer these days?  Goran? (Irony: I'm typing this
on an unfamiliar Swedish keyboard, and thus can't figure out how to
properly type the "o" in Mr. Krampe's first name...)

Avi