[Seaside] Send page as Email attachement ?

Wilkes Joiner wilkesjoiner at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 16:24:00 CET 2005

On 12/21/05, Julian Fitzell <julian at beta4.com> wrote:
> We generally had the heuristic of starting a new line and
> indenting any time there was a child tag, and if there were no child
> tags to put the content and the start and end tags on the same line.
> But even this wasn't sufficient because, for example, the result of
> having to text inputs with a newline between them and two text inputs
> without a new line between them is actually different: in one case
> they'll be separated by a space and in the other they will be touching.

IIRC, this how whitespace is supposed to be handled in html.  All
whitespace is shrunk down to one space.

>   It proved very difficult to come up with a well-defined pretty-printed
> output that everyone was happy with.  That, more than anything, is why
> Avi and I started using the unformatted output and if the option to
> toggle between the two has disappeared, it's only because we just
> weren't using it anymore.  Well, that and the fact that it was nicer
> looking at our pretty-print than at "view source" anyway.

For developing a Seaside app, I would not change a thing.  The view
source trumps anything I've used in a dynamic framework.  I am
(mis)using seaside as way to create a static website while working
with graphic designers.  I prefer generating html via Seaside to
writing it all out by hand.  I want to give the graphic designers some
html to play with and tweak, mostly css and images.  So, an
imperfectly formatted is acceptable.  It is not what will actually be
rendered to the browser.

> If you or someone can actually come up with something that works well
> and doesn't alter the output results from what the coder intends then I
> would certainly use it.

Given my intent, this could be used as some sort of "export"
functionality.  However, when rendering directly to the browser I
would not change a thing.

Thanks,
Wilkes