[Seaside] [VW] Lost halo icons and missing styles

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Wed Feb 2 22:53:07 CET 2005

Avi Bryant wrote:

> Well, yeah, it's specific to localhost - and not just to being on the
> same physical machine as the server, but actually using "localhost"
> vs. the loopback IP or an external interface.  Some ill-conceived
> optimization inside Safari?

I wouldn't put the blame on Safari myself. We're seeing the problem in a
really special case. My guess, and it's just a guess, is that it's a
combination of the network stack optimizing connections to localhost,
and the fact that there has to be a context switch for Squeak to run and
accept the connections.

Netscape (and now Mozilla) was historically pretty good about not
hammering servers, maybe Safari never had to worry about that because
nowadays networks are higher bandwidth and servers are more robust. Or
maybe Safari just has a more efficient threading scheme within the
browser. Who knows?

I'd start trying to fix this by increasing the length of the connection
queue for the socket Kom or Swazoo is listening.

Colin