[Seaside] RDB access (was: Rolling with Ruby on Rails vs. Seaside)

danil a. osipchuk danil-home at tsnet.ru
Sat Jan 29 11:19:40 CET 2005

>I've not tried Glorp on Squeak, but IIUC it deals directly with
>the PostgreSQL client. It would seem to be a simple matter [:)]
>to agree on a common RDB access layer (now that there are connections
>for MySQL and ODBC) and change Glorp to use it. We might even want
>this layer to be portable across Smalltalks as well.
>
>I may take this on (the common RDB layer, not tweaking Glorp),
>since I may need to access some data on Sybase (I hope ODBC will
>work for it).
>
>--yanni

I think what Squeak really lacks of - is proper ODBC client (not FFI
one, with blocking, etc). It seems that squeak community is not strong
enougth to build all variety of database clients right now (like it was
done for VW). But just one ODBC client would be sufficient in most cases
and also could play a role of common rdb layer (like in Dolphin). With a
help of knowlegable people I can try to do it myself ( or may be
somebody more experienced can). The questions are - should odbc client
be implemeted natively or using plugins, and where can one get
specification and docs on odbc protocol

danil