[Seaside] slowdown in squeak3.8

radoslav hodnicak rh at 4096.sk
Sat Jun 25 12:04:50 CEST 2005

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, Avi Bryant wrote:

>> Overall, the time to generate my pages (from cached data, on a 2.8G P4)
>> started to go over 500ms towards 1s ... which is not impressive.
>
> Wow, that's brutal.  How does the time usage break down?  What (apart
> from m17n) are the hotspots?

One hotspot is WAHtmlRenderer>>anchorWithAction:do:
On a link-heavy page (it's not unusual for my pages to have 300 or 500
anchors) this can take up to 60% of the time (most of it is spent in
WAHtmlRenderer>>urlForAction: ... String>>encodeForHTTP).

However, even after I removed calls to encodeForHTTP, rendering anchors
takes about 40% of page time (well, which is not really suprising since
there are many anchors to render ...)

rado