[Seaside] About an important meta remark

Dmitry Dorofeev dima-sender-3c337a at yasp.com
Fri Mar 18 11:25:12 CET 2005

Ian Prince wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 9:36 AM +0100, stephane ducasse wrote:
>
> What's the best way of getting the ball rolling on this? I imagine we
> have to start by defining "widget" and "documented widget". Any ideas?
>
> Ian.

I think that there are 2 types of 'widgets':
- containers (including navigation and things like WABatchedList)
- data (Calendar, Date entry etc)

In any case we need a framework to document components, so both programmers
and _designers_ would easily find information about component. I think it should
be a seaside repository of components available via HTTP similar to /config page. Also each component
should have it's own configuration, similar to Seaside Application configuration we have now.
Also we need some guidelines for CSS names (naming policy) to agree on before it all
becomes complete mess.

I see that this may evolve into Web Toolkit where people may assemble Web applications
from Web browser selecting various containers and components, tune them and extend
functionality. Last one probably from normal Squeak image, not Web :-)

I was involved into development of http://www.bigmag.co.uk/ - kind of Visual Web building framework -
and now testing Smalltak/Seaside/Squeak for the Web development. Sorry, i am new to Smalltalk,
so would not provide good code yet. But at least ideas for now.

Thank you.

-Dmitry