[Seaside][VW] Portability

Esteban A. Maringolo emaringolo at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 18:57:48 CET 2005

2005/11/19, Michel Bany <m.bany at wanadoo.fr>:
> Hello Seaside contributors,
> I am currently working on porting Seaside-2.6a1 to VW. This branch has
> been in pause mode
> for quite some time, so I am assuming that I may resume it for a port to VW.
> In the past, Avi was the main contributor of Seaside, and he has always
> very been and still is
> careful and concerned regarding the portability of Seaside to VW, all of
> his work was done
> with portability in mind. Today there are very many different
> contributors, and for many of
> them portability is not a concern.

[BIG SNIP]

> Esteban,
> You may want to add to this.

Michel, I second your proposal.

By now, I started the port from an old Seaside version (2.50-avi.1),
and no many issues with compatibility arised, except many squeak
compatibility "loose"methods.

However, as you stated, I'm also exceptical with the implementation of
some methods such #asString in Object, because of the unexpected
behavior it may cause. I'm oriented to use displayString instead.

In the special case of WAUrl>>asString, the semantics are OK to me,
because what one may expect is the aWAUrl as a String :-), perhaps
#uriString would be more suitable, but that's a story apart.

Another thing that by now didn't generate any "issues" is the
Chronology library, but I would be happy if the core and many other
popular classes/components are decoupled from the library.
I used the VW version of Seaside more than the Squeak one, and found
perturbing the existance of two distinct Date classes. Namespaces
elegantly permit that kind of coexistance, but I feel a "code smell"
around of that, and I always prefer to use the native base classes.

I would like that the users of the Dolphin version don't perceive that
such version is a port from other dialect. I perceived that using the
VW port. And it's not my intention to hide it's origin, indeed what I
want is a seamless integration with the specific platform.

Best regards.

--
Esteban A. Maringolo
eMaringolo at gmail.com