[Seaside] apache + seaside

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 01:07:00 CET 2005

On Nov 26, 2005, at 3:07 PM, Ross Boylan wrote:

> Using 2.6a-avi.64 works better.  I don't know if the change from '/'
> to '' in the basepath was significant.

There was a lot of churn in the basePath code recently; I think the
current version, and using '' not '/', will be stable going forward.

> I changed the name of my seaside app to upj, and now it all works!
>
> So, while I continue to think it should be possible to get things to
> work the other way, I've got something working.
>
> I'm curious, have people found things work OK without the
> ProxyHTMLURLMap?
>
> Also, does css and script information need special handling?
> mod_proxy_html doesn't ordinarily look at those things, but it has an
> option to do so.

That's one of the reasons I think it's best to be consistent about
internal and external URLs (have upj map to upj, not upj map to
test).  There are so many places that a URL might appear, and an
automated rewrite (especially at the apache level) just isn't going
to find all of them.

> Do I want to set the config variable DeploymentMode to true for
> "production" use?  Is it OK to do that on an application basis, rather
> than system-wide?

Yes, and yes.  By default, the only effect is to turn off the
development toolbar at the bottom of the page; it's intended to be
used to control other options too, however (e.g. which database to
connect to, how to handle error reporting, whether to present a login
page, etc).

>> If you want absolute URLs (in the redirects, for example, which is
>> technically required) you should also set the server name + port
>> configuration options in your seaside app to www.betterworld.us
>> and 81.

Another option here: my latest commit uses the HOST header to figure
out what the server name + port should be.  This is unnecessary if
you're using ProxyPass + ProxyPassReverse, but useful when using
mod_rewrite's [P] flag to do more complex proxying.  It only works on
Apache 2, because it requires ProxyPreserveHost On.

Avi