[Seaside] Quick question

radoslav hodnicak rh at 4096.sk
Thu Oct 20 19:42:25 UTC 2005

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Avi Bryant wrote:

> Yep, I follow.  One of my design goals which that's in conflict with that is
> to make it at least theoretically possible to stream the HTTP response rather
> than buffering it - to save memory, increase performance, and shorten the
> perceived load time of large pages.  I say "theoretically" because so far I
> haven't done the necessary work on Comanche to make this actually work end to
> end, but I want to at least keep the Seaside end of things satisfying this
> constraint.
>
> It may be that we're sacrificing too much for that goal, especially given
> that we don't get any concrete benefits from it yet - opinions are welcomed.

-5 streaming

it's a pain when you have to go back and fix things you already rendered -
typical example is page numbering for printing forms - I only know the
total number of rendered pages when I'm done rendering and then I need
back to fist page and change the total pages field. Easy with the old
buffered document tree, impossible with stream.

I want the freedom to poke at the whole page before it gets sent to the
browser (ideally this would include rendering css and scripts for a
component after the component renders - parts of my scripts and css are
generated from smalltalk and depend on what is currently rendered).

rado