[Seaside] Re: Seaside & Ruby Rails Compared

radoslav hodnicak rh at 4096.sk
Wed Sep 7 02:32:36 CEST 2005

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005, [ISO-8859-1] Günther Schmidt wrote:

> Then there is GLORP, originially developed for VW. It's a persistency
> framework or OO to RDBMS bridge.
> Last time I checked it was still under development, and as I understand it,
> not yet production ready.

Glorp is in development, but that doesn't mean it's not usable. I'm
using it in production for more than a year and half. It has been very
useful too.

> GLORP, AFAIK, only works with Postgres as a backend, at least for the moment.

Glorp in VW supports more database backends like oracle, sql
server etc. I was not aware we have drivers in squeak for anything else
besides postgres, sqlite and mysql. Mysql still seems to be too limited
or too incompatible to bother with.

Having said that, Glorp's current model of units of work doesn't mesh that
well with web parallelism, so getting it to work for you requires some
thinking.

rado