[Seaside] Re: Seaside & Ruby Rails Compared

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Fri Sep 9 20:02:15 CEST 2005

Hi Seasiders!

Wilkes Joiner <wilkesjoiner at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree totally.

On the other hand sometimes it is better to learn and master one tool
and use it even if it is overkill. :)

> I haven't played with HttpView2, but I believe some
> on the list mentioned mixing HV and Seaside in the same "app."  Does
> anyone have any experience with the sort of thing?

No, I haven't used Seaside yet myself - but I am aware of how it works
and I have also merged the HTML generation classes with the
corresponding classes in HV (which is my puppy as you may know).

Since HV does its "magic" using very straight forward techniques it
should be trivial to combine with Seaside as long as you use it with
KomHttpServer and Squeak. But of course, porting HV to another Smalltalk
or web server is easy too. It has actually been ported already to ST/X I
think.

And another aspect that makes them easy to use together is that they now
share the same HTML generation code (though this was done a while back,
we should really try to converge again since I assume Seaside has
evolved since I did that harmonization).

Cees has used both frameworks btw.

regards, Göran