[Seaside] Newbie question

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 20:21:26 UTC 2006

> No, actually not. I have a ftp access which is working and as a domain:
>
> http://lug-bremen.seasidehosting.st/

Great, but this is only to host applications you already developed and
tested on your own local computer. It is very inconvenient to
develop/install applications on a remote machine with Seaside. As I
said, Seaside is different than other frameworks, there are no files
and seasidehosting.st provides no file-hosting. In Smalltalk
everything is an object living within an image, also the applications
are graphs of objects that live in there.

> I understand why because I didn't upload a file.

Yes, you need to upload a working image-file with your application in
there and start up the vm using the web-interface.

> > To get it running on your machine you need the Squeak VM, the Squeak
> > sources and the image and changes files with Seaside installed. As a
> > start I would suggest that you take a prepared image from
> > <http://www.seaside.st/Download/>. Then you develop/install the
> > application into your image and as soon as it works you upload it to
> > seasidehosting.st.
>
> Maybe later on I will install smalltalk locally, I have an apache here
> in my LAN.

You don't need Apache on your local machine, Squeak and Seaside come
with their own web-server.

> > > Has smalltalk and seaside a functionality like an index.html for the
> > > first site ?
> >
> > This is the default application as defined in your Squeak image.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand the meaning. What do you mean by saying
> "default apllication" ?

I think you should ask an experienced Smalltalk for some help getting
started in Squeak and Seaside. Maybe there is a local Smalltalk group
near you? You could check and/or contact www.esug.org to get in touch
with people near you.

> > There is no such a thing. There are only objects, no files.
>
> So it's required now for lug-bremen.seasidehosting.st to download an
> image from http://www.seaside.st/Download/ and to install this over my
> ftp access for lug-bremen.seasidehosting.st.
>
> Is this correct so far ?

Yes, you download the image, develop/install your application locally,
save the image and then upload the ready-made image to
seasidehosting.st. I strongly suggest that you look for some local guy
showing you how to do such things, there is simply too much missing to
explain everything by e-mail!

Cheers,
Lukas

--