[Seaside] Re: Scaling Seaside apps (was: About SToR)

Rick Flower rickf at ca-flower.com
Fri Aug 4 01:54:07 UTC 2006

Jeremy Shute wrote:

> Yes, it's very much in the critical path.  I'm sorry but I'm still
> amazed that it can't assemble and ship queries to Postgres as fast as I
> can get data from a cable modem.  That was a huge shocker -- I've got a
> weak cable connection on one side and a disk on the other, and rifling
> through strings and objects in RAM is the issue???
>
> I agree that there are solutions which involve direct-SQL access, and
> making a mess of otherwise clean code (but a well isolated mess, of
> course).  I could also simply contribute to GLORP in order to make it
> better.  I would do this in a second if I thought it would get me from
> point A to point B, GLORP is great software!

Jeremy --

I plopped a note over on the Glorp mailing list about your Cursor
comment (I hope you didn't mind) and got the following reply from Alan
Knight about what happens with Cursors & Glorp (he wanted me to post
this since he wasn't able to post directly) :

If you can post, you might mention that Glorp actually does everything
internally in terms of cursors. If you want the result set returned only
part at a time, you can set the query collectionType: to
GlorpCursoredStream, which gives you a stream on the results. However,
that will then depend on the underlying driver's behaviour. I know that
in VW, I've seen complaints the Postgresql driver doesn't do cursors
very effectively - it gets all the results before returning anything.
Other drivers, however, certainly do do cursors.