[Seaside] Goods

Ramiro Diaz Trepat ramirodt at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 01:57:31 UTC 2006

It's been some time since the ODBs have been talked about in this list.
It would be great to hear current experiences (with the latest
versions) that people had.  The good and the bad.
In my case, I don't have a lot of volume yet, but my experiences were:

Magma
======

Good:
	New cool query syntax (no one else has this).
	Excellent support from Chris Müller and list.
	Clean syntax
	Indexes for various classes (Dates, Strings, Numbers, etc.)
	ReadStrategies
	Native Smalltalk
	Integration package to use with Seaside.
Bad:
	Hard to set up (the latest beta version with queries at least)
	Insert & update performance (inserting  ~260 items on a magma
collection takes >30'' on a single commit)

GOODS
======

Good:
	Very simple to set up
	Cleanest / less intrusive syntax of all ODBs I've seen
	Pretty fast on inserts (on my not so large data sets at least)
	Distributable / multi-language
Bad:
	Maintained by a single guy (I'm always scared of this... what if he
decides to run a restaurant?)
	Not native Smalltalk
	No indexes (must use Avi's BTree)
	No queries

OmniBase
========
Good:
	Seems to have been widely tested in several smalltalks
Bad:
	Locking problem on Macs and Linux with Squeak has not been resolved.
Hence, if you use Squeak, Windows is the only alternative.  I've
tested it yesterday on my Mac and the locking issues were still
there.  I don't know if it is still this way under Linux.
	Ugliest syntax (for me, at least)
	No query language.
	Licencing? (don't really know about this)

But it would be great, at least for me, to hear what others been
through when they decided to implement an ODB.
Thanks

r.