[Seaside] What to use for object-relational mapping?

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Sun Aug 27 18:20:06 UTC 2006

Hi!

"Warren Henning" <warren.henning at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm aware of Glorp (glorp.org). What else is out there for doing
> database stuff? Is there anything that implements, say, the Active
> Record pattern (i.e., similar to Ruby on Rails' ActiveRecord)? I'm
> looking for something good and relatively simple to use with Seaside -
> what's best?

If you are intent on an RDB backend - then I would guess that Glorp, ROE
and Tantalus are those to check out.

If you have an app that can work within a "document"-like model (the
user "snapshots" a model, and that model is mainly modified only by one
user) then ImageSegments are quite nice. Really fast in loading from
disk and pretty fast in doing a snapshot to disk (except for an overhead
similar to a full gc). But honestly - if you think ImageSegments would
work then you can also go "all the way" to Magma:

If you want something that is really really simple and transparent then
IMHO Magma is the way to go. I am building a quite advanced app using it
(Gjallar) fulltime this year and it is really great.

regards, Göran