[Seaside] My progress with Seaside...

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Wed Jan 4 18:45:06 CET 2006

Ramon Leon wrote:
>>* Bandwidth.  Loading up the SUScriptLibrary for AJAX
>>support, I get another 120K worth of stuff that I just plain
>>don't need.  Yes, 95%+ browsers support AJAX, but half the
>>country is still on a modem!  The whole point of AJAX is to
>>make a snappy application!  I see two options to fix this:
>>meet my own requirements by returning to the V2.5 way of
>>doing things (i.e. manually port the much slimmer 2.5 AJAX
>>code), or write Javascript dependency graph analysis code
>>that only sends what you use (which is a nightmare without
>>some additional declarations).  REALLY, I'd like an "AJAX
>>lite" library that has all the handlers but none of the
>>animation: is there a way to get 2.5 functionality back?
>>
>>Thanks,
>

> I'm just curious why this is relevant since the browser should cache the
> js file once it's been downloaded, it's not like that 120k goes down on
> every hit?

Oh yes, I meant to make that point at the end of my other message.  If
most users have broadband and the others have to download a JS file once
(24seconds, not ideal but still works for the worst case scenario) I
don't see it as a huge problem.  Now if you are in some domain where the
*majority* of *your particular user group* use a modem... then by all
means, strip down the JS file.

Julian