[Seaside] Rails and Seaside

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 00:18:01 CET 2006

On Jan 6, 2006, at 3:04 PM, Jeremy Shute wrote:

> As strange and backward as it sounds, I like the HTML::Template
> method of
> doing things (from Perl).  I don't think it's the sweet-spot in
> Seaside's
> case, because Seaside ends up programmatically generating id's, form
> variable names, and other highly dynamic behavior that IS quite
> dependent
> on the number and nature of output tags.

Yes, that's exactly the issue - a much higher proportion of the
content in a given HTML page produced by Seaside is generated/
meaningless than for typical web apps, which means that the
integration points between the code and the template are much greater
in number.  In my view, this tips the balance away from templates as
a viable tool.

> However, the rigors of
> HTML::Template ensure that no one "slips" logic into the
> "presentation"
> layer.

Those arguments have never convinced me.  It seems to me you have two
choices: either your templating language is close to being Turing-
complete, in which case you're encouraging programming with a vastly
inferior language to whatever the rest of your app is in, or your
templating language is so restrictive that certain complex layouts
are simply impossible to express in it.  To use another example from
Dabble, I *really* wouldn't want to see the template for nested
grouping like this: http://dabbledb.com/about/billable.php .

Avi