[Seaside] Re: Rails and Seaside

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 12:59:31 CET 2006

On 1/15/06, Jeremy Shute <shutej at crazilocks.com> wrote:
> There is such great opportunity (as it's open, and Smalltalk to the core),
> and yet such a long way to go.
>
>[... lots of good critique snipped..]

Thanks Jeremy - great writeup, lots of very valid points. Keep
bitching about it (are you on the morphic team/list? I think that team
would welcome all the help there is on usability decisions...)

> Keybindings [...]

Personally, I think that Squeak's ignoring the keyboard is its single
largest usability misfeature. I should be able to do everything
without a mouse, with a single-button mouse+keyboard combos, or with a
gazillion-buttoned mouse.

I still have to look deeper into it, but from reading about it I liked
Archy's way of making the keyboard work
(http://rchi.raskincenter.org/index.php?title=Home). The sticker is,
probably, that at the moment the VM's don't seem to pass press/release
events of modifier keys up (or am I wrong here?).

> And, in case that wasn't enough, can you please make it sexy (OS 9)
> without being ridiculous (OS X)?  Take the time you would spend
> making it themeable and use it instead to get it right the first time.

I think, by the way, that one of the better 'themes' I know at the
moment is <don asbestos suit> Windows XP's Silver look, but with a
normal title bar font size. It is totally unobtrusive and looks
stylish.

Having said that, and very much agreeing with your comments of making
it look good out-of-the-box (3.9a is a good step in that direction), I
think having a themeable Squeak is a worthwhile goal. It makes it much
easier to build games, rich 3d things, etcetera with it where you
typically want to have your own look.