[Seaside] Re: Rails and Seaside

Jan Szumiec jps at ftyczka.org
Sat Mar 4 19:27:21 UTC 2006

Brad Fuller wrote:
> Wilkes Joiner wrote:
>
>> On 3/4/06, Jan Szumiec <jps at ftyczka.org> wrote:
>>

>>> Is there a way to access a running image remotely? Something like a
>>> remote squeak desktop?
>>>

>> There is RemoteFrameBuffer.  It is a vnc client/server.  This allows
>> you to vnc into the desktop.  The latest versions of Seaside have a
>> vnc entry point that allows you to turn rfb on and off via a web
>> interface.
>>

> really? where is that?
>
> Jan: I have been using RFB successfully from squeak to squeak. But, I
> can't seemed to get it to work from vncviewer to the remote squeak/RFB
> (as I mentioned in a previous message). So, you might try squeak to
> squeak first: go to squeakmap and install RFB on both remote and local
> images.
> And, if you get vncviewer working, tell me how ;-)

I got VNC working, no problem. First, I installed RFBServer, configured
it with a password, and started it through the menu with the display
number set to 0.
Then, I ran vncviewer, and everything works as expected ;) I wonder how
much effort it would take to send events between windows on remote
images, instead of sending bitmap updates. I think that's how Windows'
remote desktop works, and it is way more responsive than VNC.