[Seaside] Configuration with VisualWorks?

Roland Hochmuth rhochmuth at comcast.net
Tue Mar 7 06:47:42 UTC 2006

Hi Michel, Thank you for your very detailed reply. I think I'm almost
there. I've gone through your instructions and created a WEB site.
However, when I enter

     http://localhost:8008/abcd/servlet/SeasideServlet/myapp

nothing appears until I go to

         http://localhost:8008/abcd/servlet/SeasideServlet/config

and use "add entry point".

What I've done in VW is create a new package and namespace. In the
new namespace I've created a new class that inherits from WAComponent
and added the method "canBeRoot"

So then I toggled halos on the .../config WEB page and discovered
that the "config" page was displaying the component
WADispatcherEditor. And sure enough, looking at renderContentOn for
class WADispatcherEditor I see that addEntryPoint is a callback. So
it t looks like WADispatcherEditor is just a WAComponent too. Very
cool! I could continue to manually enter my sites using the config
page, but now I'm wondering how WADispatcherEditor got bootstrapped
and why my application didn't just show up as opposed to
WADispatcherEditor which was somehow connected to the "config" page.
I'm thinking that if I wanted to just have my app "appear" rather
than being manually entered at "config" then I should just invoke
addEntryPoint from the initialize method in the new application
component. Also, I guess that class SeasideServlet dispatches to
WADispatcherEditor somehow, but I don't see the connection right now.

Any more suggestions or pointers as to what I should look at and what
the preferred method is?

Regards --Roland