[Seaside] Re: [ANN] Seaside Tutorial

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 09:03:54 UTC 2006

Hi Yann,

> The different tutorials on Seaside I found explained very basic examples
> (f.e. the counter). I am trying to make a website to replace my current
> blog (using a php app).

the tutorial that I am usually doing during two days together with
students knowing Smalltalk and that gives a complete overview on
Seaside is available at
<http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/smalltalk/seaside/tutorial>. If you
carefully go through the slides, you might be able to do it on your
own. There are exercises that build up a full blown ticket-selling
application, with menus, tasks, reports, and so on. The exercises
gradually increase in difficulty and go with the slides, e.g. one
section of the exercises practices the things shown in one set of
slides. Moreover there are ready to use images for Squeak and
VisualWorks and I can also send you the solutions if you request.

> I just want a small webpage, with menus on the
> side and 1, or 2 at most, entries.

I doubt that you will be happy using Seaside doing this, there are
maybe better possibilities if you just want to serve static pages with
menus. Seaside is a framework to do web-application (with highly
dynamic content), not web-sites.

Cheers,
Lukas

--