[Seaside] Swazoo versions

Esteban A. Maringolo emaringolo at gmail.com
Mon May 29 00:12:07 UTC 2006

Hi,

Today I was playing with the published version of Seaside made by Avi
Bryant the last week, which uses the Swazoo version for Dolphin made by
Sean Malloy, to add some missing functionalities I had working in my
earlier port of Seaside to Dolphin.

Considering to what Sean says in his website, the port is based on the
0.9.101 version, while Steve Waring's one is based on 0.9.99
(apparently). Sean's version is more conscise in terms of number of
packages, but it misses some classes such as SwazooSiteScript and other
very useful tools, available in Steve's version.

Considering that the Swazoo topic got warm this days, and that today
it's more a jungle than a zoo ;-), we could arrange some efforts to make
it converge into a single stream of development, at least compatible
with what already exists in Dolphin.

For example, you can't have Seaside and Spray web services running on
the same image, because they're incompatible (besides the fact that the
naming convention of Steve is different to the Sean's one*).

Plus, Dolphin ships with Steve's version, which is appropriate
considering the existing goodies and packages available, but not the
best option aiming to a broader audience through Seaside and other
popular developments that would come.

I leave the topic here, to see if there is enough interest to make it
happen. I would like to see Sean, Steve, Janko, the OA people, perhaps
Bruce Badger too, and anybody willing to collaborate at least in
testing, joining efforts for this.

Best regards,

--
Esteban.

* Steve: I will be happy to know what SW, SV, and other prefixes mean. :-)